Monday, May 27, 2019

Thing 20 - Social Reading and book stuff

Book Tools
I have been on GoodReads for a while.  Today I added the widget to this blog and as an added bonus I was able to play with the background and formatting of the blog while seeing some updated that I wasn't aware of on Blogger.  Yeah me!

I love hearing about and seeing what others read. Recently I became online friends with a few other local librarians, Librarian Bloggers and my Literacy Coach who I am constantly chatting about books, both adult titles and children's titles.  Now we can see each other's updates.  Of course seeing what others read adds to my own to be read pile!  But hey, summer is coming right?

I also downloaded the GR app to my phone.  Then I can easily update when I finish something too.  The app is great for another reason... It has a scan feature.  So you can be in a bookstore or library and scan a book and add it to your own shelf.  But I discovered that it saves the books you scan too.  As I know I am not alone in this and snap a picture of books I not only want to read, but ones I want to add to my library.  So if you scan a book with the app it stays even if you don't add it to your own shelf.  So you don't have to take a picture and they are all together when you are looking for books to order.

Holey Moley!!  I am so excited to add the SALS catalog to what i see when I in in my GoodReads account!  Oh man this is terrific!  Thank you for this tidbit!  Took a bit to figure out how to add it and where it showed up... But now I see it and have used it!  Awesome!  Although this is weird as it asks what order I want them to appear, but it lists them alphabetically on the book pages... so I will remove all the other places as I really only search for books at the public Library for books to borrow.

Looked at TinyCat just to be informed.  Seems like a good option for a small school library.  Like the previous private school I worked at years ago.  The first screen reminds me of the new look of Follett with the ribbons.

Looking at BookTeasers with Slide Deck would be great.  In the past I have done Booktrailers with my 4th graders, but with the change in technology and tools from our old computers, I skipped the project this school year.  But sees the Slide Deck you shared, I now want to start the school year off for my 5th graders with a book challenge.  They could create a slide similar to those shared with a teaser about the book and adding them all together to show the class.  I like the idea of adding it to Flipgrid as well.  My kids are very familiar with that and some don't necessarily like showing their faces, so this could be another way to get their work out there too.  Love the idea of the Index card book teaser.  It reminds me of the short movies I used to make with my scholar kids where they drew paper images or words and filmed them coming in and out.  Putting this in my planbook now for next year.  I think it would be great for our kids to share some fun books this way.

So many good resources with this topic.  Some I know and use: SORA, LIBBY, Epic, etc... and so many others that I want another month to look at them all.  I am working with a colleague now with crating workshops online... Maybe I should sit with our Literacy Coach and talk with her about "social reading" online.  Set up a teacher book club and have the discussion and share resources...  so hard to find times to sit together during a school day, this might be a way to share and communicate...

Seems I love widgets...I always set a reading goal for myself, now I can proudly show off that I have completed... or my progress.

2019 Reading Challenge

2019 Reading Challenge
Maureen has completed her goal of reading 35 books in 2019!
hide

1 comment:

  1. You've already hit your GoodReads reading goal!! Wow. I'm so far behind. But as you said, summer is coming! Isn't the addon for searching your local library catalog just the best. My hold list for ebooks with UHLS and NYPL just keeps getting longer......

    ReplyDelete

Final thing reflection

It is really hard to believe that this workshop has come to an end....  my first blog post for this series of classes was from 2010...  m...