Friday, June 7, 2019

Thing 25 -- Green Screening

I purchased a green screen kit at the beginning of the school year, but never had the opportunity to open it or discover even what was in the kit, let alone try something out!  Over the past two weeks, my 4th grade scholars need to do a podcast or video PSA on concussions.  I gave them the option of just filming or using the green screen.  Half of the groups took me up on it!

Two weeks ago after they wrote their scripts, I set up the screen and let them film, (still not knowing exactly how we were going to to the green screen process, but I knew I would figure it out.)

The kids had a ball filming and getting all there takes for the video.  I even had a few want to use the teleprompter app (like real newscasters) so they had it scrolling while they were acting their scenes.
They really helped each other out with filming and starting and stopping the iPads.

Fast forward to this week where we have to edit what they filmed.  I had them use the wevideo app to start their movie and add their different video takes.  Our district has a few licenses, so I signed up as a teacher and played at home sending from the app to the account.  The details of editing work better on our cloudbooks than the app.  The kids really enjoyed editing, adding music, learning how the chrome key color worked to add a background.  Lots of fun!  We watch the videos once they were complete. Overall a fantastic project, not without a few bumps in the road but tremendous.

Here is one group's final video with green screen...



 You can see it here too.

I can see using this a little more now, even with younger students if i was the major editor, as we don't have enough site licenses.  But maybe using a few free apps like Legos or Stikbots would work as well.  I can't wait to film some students doing animal projects with the habitats in the background,etc.  Not that I have gotten my feet wet with this, I can't wait to try it in many ways next year... maybe a greenscreen club!

I also want to look further into the ChromeKey app. for still pictures, etc. And I just saw veescope-live-green-screen-app which also looks interesting.  Will have to play a lot this summer with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final thing reflection

It is really hard to believe that this workshop has come to an end....  my first blog post for this series of classes was from 2010...  m...