Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Thing 3: Online Communities

Well I was able to spend a little time last night looking at Twitter.  I joined and added a few people tyo follow.  I was able to do a little searching and find some interesting things, including a pinerest page with good ideas and a librarian templte page that different people had posted.  I like the idea of having ideas floating to you, but Twitter isn't something that I will keep up with too often.  I can see the benefit of having a hashtag for a conference or wikispace and getting constant updates... the 140 characters bugs me for some reason.  I can see how professionally, politically or even if you followed certain famous people how it could enhance your life.  As a regular person I have too much going on in my own life to give constant 140 updates about my life let alone read about other friends and regular people's constant comments.  Facebook is enough of that for me.

Once interesting thing I did come across was I placed "elementary librarian" in the search box.  I was surprised that it did not look at the descriptions of people, only what people posted.  Some talked about running into their elementary librarian or remembering their elementary librarian.  One guy posted "What do you think the least stressful job in America is? My guess is that is has to be an elementary school librarian"... hmmm if he only knew!

I currently have a Facebook account, although I don't spend a lot of time there.  I do check in once in a while.  I can see the benefit for having a library group page for your school library especial if the students are on facebook and check in regularly.  Parents might also benefit since it is so easy to quickly update and add something to a facebook page.  At my elem level I hesitate to start one since the students should not be going on at that level.  A public library page would also be nice for quick updates, new book titles, and special events.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughful post. Glad you checked out Twitter. It can be certainly become overwhelming! Do take a look at the CoolTools facebook page too:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/601801186574119/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maureen -- Download "Tweetdeck" onto your computer and then add columns for: #tlchat #edchat (and #slscooltools) -- It will archive Tweets for you and then you don't have to follow everyone, but will be able to scan interesting posts. I have found great gems that way!

    ReplyDelete

Final thing reflection

It is really hard to believe that this workshop has come to an end....  my first blog post for this series of classes was from 2010...  m...