Thursday, February 9, 2017

Thing 23: Infographics & Data Visualization

So I spent some time looking at the Video posted: Beauty of Data Visualization.  How very interesting especially when considering we actual intake more more through our sense of sight than anything else. I thought it was so cool how you need to add levels to the data to make them understandable instead of just one level.  His examples were brilliant!

Kathy Schrock's video would be super helpful to use with my older students to give them some background on infographics and how to manage their project.  Keep it simple.  This works for everyone involved.

I have seen infographics with the data from your own library and thought that I might go this direction where I use it for myself and my information.  But no I think it would be interesting for students to use this.  No only for research and understanding there information, but also a just for fun project as well.  Students could pick a quotation that means something to them from a book that they really felt hit home with them.  We could compile them and display them on an infographic at their moving up ceremony in the spring.  Something interesting to them, book related and displayed for their parents.  My fifth graders are also working on a Civil Rights Hero and Leader project with me and we could use the format to display some information about these heroes or different quotes from a leader.  They could work in small groups and create themed simple infographics with https://www.brainyquote.com/
I used https://piktochart.com/.  It was a free signup with limitations. For something simple like this, I think the kids would have a blast creating it.  There are a few templates, but nothing worked quite right for this project.  The kids might also enjoy using it to show off their research on a specific topic as well -- science, animals, biography, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link to BrainyQuote, I havent' run across that site before. What a great resource! And perfect way to combine it with a piktochart. That does sound like a fun project for your students.

    ReplyDelete

Final thing reflection

It is really hard to believe that this workshop has come to an end....  my first blog post for this series of classes was from 2010...  m...